Pepita is Dead

So, whilst traipsing around Madrid over the last few days, the lovely personal personal trainer and I came across this shop (which was closed, as it is August) Pepita is Dead.



As it turns out, while still closed, Pepita is Dead is a vintage clothing shop that has some notoriety. Their website is currently being worked on, but check it out.

On a corkscrew note, Tommy and Joey arrived yesterday, and we scooped them up at the airport, and made it back to the apartment. This was no small task, as when we headed over to the Metro to board the train that would take us to the next train that would take us to the airport, we came to understand that our Metro stop, and those in either direction for a mile + were all closed for renovations.

Plan B…

Okay, after taking the elevator down to the depths of the city, take 6 escalators–or alternatively stairs–whilst following signs for the number 10 bus. Only to find that the number 10 bus, doesn’t say number 10 anywhere on it. But, what the heck. we boarded, went a few miles to a different Metro station, and descended under the streets again. From one platform to another platform, to a set of stairs, to another set of stairs, to yet another escalator, past two more platforms, to what appeared to be the right train.


Except when you got in the train which was supposed to be the number 10, it read number 7. We looked at each other, and decided to stay on it, as it had to be right. Maybe they use this train for multiple lines. And, it was only two stops from where we would transfer anyway.

First stop, was the right one. Okay, we are heading in the right direction. Next stop, Nuevas Minesterios… perfecto!

Okay… we had made it that far. Now, just find the pink line.

Within a few minutes the number 8 (pink line) arrived, and we got on board–along with lots of people carrying, pulling, or dragging luggage. This seemed to be a pretty good sign.

As we neared the airport, the map on the train showed to airport stops. Terminal 1, 2, & 3, or Terminal 4. Not knowing what terminal Tommy and Joey would be landing in, we opted for the 1,2, or 3, as not only were we picking up Tommy and Joey, we were also picking up a rental car with which we would pick up Tommy and Joey.

The train pulled in, and we started walking towards the terminals–terminal 2, as the arrivals indicated that is where the flight from Frankfurt would be; only to find out that all of the rental cars are located in terminal 1.

No worries, we headed over looking for our rental car company, who as it happens, does not have a location in the Madrid airport. So, we went over to the Hertz counter and asked where Dollar rental car was, and he responded with “right here.” Apparently various rental companies will take the reservations and the cars are handled onsite by combining their rentals.

Note to Dollar/Hertz/Car-company-to-be-named-later signage is a good thing…

After filling out the appropriate paperwork, we hopped in our vehicle and made it out of the rental car area, and into the arrivals at Terminal 2; at precisely the time when Tommy and Joey landed. And, after a short wait at the arrivals, I saw the boys pushing their luggage through the doors, and I lead them to the car.

Now… how to get back to Madrid proper and the apartment.

As it happened, the lovely and I headed over to the Vodafone store two days ago, and she had her sim card changed out on her iPhone, so she has fabulous service. So, Daphne (as we have named the voice on the iPhone maps app) guided us to our front door.

Up the four story walkup with their bags, and we had made it!

So, after the briefest of breaks, we headed out (on foot) for lunch–eating that the restaurant above Mercado de San Anton. This was followed by a trip to the aforementioned vodafone store in the pursuit of additional sim cards–apparently their system was down however, and no sim cards were being sold.

In Puerto del Sol we boarded a tour bus, and they guys got a nice overview of the city. And, after the tour, we started to walk back home.

After a while we discussed eating in rather than going out, and knowing the jet lag was hitting the guys, the lovely and I headed off to a local market where we picked up food and wine, and came back to make dinner.

And, while we were prepping and cooking, I took a break to bring out some corkscrews for Tommy to look at. He went through the box, and pulled out a couple, and asked how much. He made a fairly decent offer, and I suggested an extra 50 dollars. He wasn’t budging, so I suggest we flip for it. However, instead of a 50 dollar flip, it became a 100 dollar flip; my price if I win, 100.00 less if I lose.


So, there is a fairly substantial wad of cash, a Walker patent peg and worm, and the results of the flip hanging in the balance–or flipping int eh balance as it were.


I grabbed a coin, and TC called it in the air.


I will preface this section of the blog by saying, I have never seen Tommy actually win a flip–maybe he has against TWJ…so, I figured my chances were pretty good.

So, the coin in the air flipping downwards, I catch it in my hand and flip it over.


Thanks for the extra 50 TC!

After the trade (sale) we went about finishing the prep for dinner, dinner and wine, and some lively conversation; eventually we called it a night.

This morning we start the drive to Logrono, and the adventure continues.

Pepita is still dead, but who knows what will turn up next.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s