From the August 14, 1869 issue of Scientific American
This is a new, unique, and powerful instrument for extracting corks from champagnes, porter, and other bottles where the corks are wired down ; and it not only enables the cork to be quickly and certainly, but obviates all previous cutting or breaking wire.
It consists of a stout, vertical shaft, actuated buy a lever, toothed sector, and rack, and having at its lower end a spear with pivoted barbs. This spear is shown in detail at the left
of the principal engraving.
In operation the bottle is seized by one hand, and the top of the neck is thrust into a funnel-shaped projection at the lower part of the cast-iron plate to which the movable parts attached. The bottom of the bottle is pressed back toward the wooden support of the apparatus, and rests upon one of a series of shelves about three eighths of an inch in thickness, and having their front edges recurved. The shelves above the bottom of the bottle are pressed backwards against springs with which each shelf is supplied, so that when the bottle is removed they are again advanced uniformly. This arrangement gives firm support to bottles of very different lengths.
The bottle being placed as described and as shown in the engraving, the hand grasping the lever is raised ; this thrusts the spear into the cork and a reversed motion of the lever opens all pivoted barbs into position shown in detail on the left of the engraving, and draws the cork, breaking the wires, etc., at the same time. Subsequent corks being drawn face the first up along the spear, until finally it is split by the conical end of the vertical shaft, and flies off out of the way.
Four motions, two with each hand, draw a cork in less time than the wire could be broken by the old method. By substituting a punch in place of the spear, and placing a small funnel to receive the cork, this machine can be used to cork bottles with great rapidity.
Patented through the Scientific American Agency, July 14, 1869 by Charles G. Wilson of Brooklyn, N.Y., who may be addressed for the entire right at the Holske Machining Company’s Office no. 528 Water Street, New York City